West Africa Study Circle

Ghana / Gold Coast

Mail to the coastal area, known originally as the Gold Coast, is known from the late 18th century. The first stamps were issued in the colony in 1875. British protectorates of the Ashanti and Northern Territories were incorporated into the colony in 1901. The Western third of the former German colony of Togoland was administered from the Gold Coast under League of Nations mandate from 1922. It became a UN Trust Territory in 1946 and was incorporated in 1957 into the newly independent Ghana.